Definition of Terms
- API or Application Programming Interface – A set of programming protocols established for multiple purposes. APIs may be enabled by a health care provider or health care provider organization to provide the patient with access to their health information through a third-party application with more flexibility than is often found in many current “patient portals.”
- View – The patient (or authorized representative) accessing their health information online.
- Download – The movement of information from online to physical electronic media.
- Transmission – This may be any means of electronic transmission according to any transport standard(s) (SMTP, FTP, REST, SOAP, etc.). However, the relocation of physical electronic media (for example, USB, CD) does not qualify as transmission.
- Unique Patient – If a patient is seen by a MIPS eligible clinician more than once during the MIPS performance period, then for purposes of measurement, that patient is only counted once in the denominator for the measure. All the measures relying on the term ‘‘unique patient’’ relate to what is contained in the patient’s medical record. Not all of this information will need to be updated or even be needed by the MIPS eligible clinician at every patient encounter. This is especially true for patients whose encounter frequency is such that they would see the same MIPS eligible clinician multiple times in the same MIPS performance period.